Ukraine by TrainTrains - Tickets - Routes
A Travel Guide For Train Travel In Ukraine.
Here you will find information for Ukraine about trains, routes, tours, connections, where to buy train tickets, and more.
Population: 42.22 million
Currency: Ukrainian Hryvnja
Country Code: +380
Time Zone: Eastern European Time
The rail network in Ukraine is operated by the state-owned railway company Ukrsalisnyzja (YB) also known as Ukrainian Railways.
There are no rail passes available for Ukraine.
The major rail network in Ukraine is composed of the following trains:
Regional Trains in Ukraine
Suburban and Regular Trains link small rural villages and to the next largest city.
- 3rd Class only, a high capacity carriage with benches
- No reservations required, nor possible
Intercity links large cities to one another.
- 1st Class: Rows of comfortable seats or compartments
- 2nd Class: Rows of seats
- 3rd Class: Benches
Night trains in Ukraine
- Kiev – Bucharest, Romania
- Kiev – Košice, Slovenia
- Kiev – Budapest – Vienna, Austria
- Kiev – Warsaw, Poland (also known as the Kiev Express)
- Reservations required.
- Sleeping Carriage:
- Spalny wagon (1st Class) has two-berth compartments, often with a washbasin and snacks included or can be bought from the carriage attendant. Bedding may be included in your ticket price or if not, an attendant sells it at a low price.
- Kupeiny/ Kupe (2nd Class) has four-berth compartments, and snacks included or can be bought from the carriage attendant. Bedding may be included in your ticket price or if not, an attendant sells it at a low price.
- Couchette car
- Platskartny (3rd Class) is an open plan couchette car, with 4 berths located in an unclosed section of the carriage, and 2 berths located sideways
- Obshchi/ Zahalny vahon (4th Class) has 81 seats, no seat reservation, for short distance journeys along these routes
Frequently Travelled Routes In Ukraine
|From > To
|Kiev to Charkiv||4:50||Direct||IC|
|Kiev to Donezk||14:11||2||Bus & Train|
|Kiev to Lviv||5:50||Direct||IC|
|Kiev to Odesa||7:22||Direct||IC|
|From > To
|Kiev to Moscow, Russia||13:30||Direct||Train|
|Kiev to Minsk, Belarus||9:25||Direct||Train|
|Kiev to Warsaw, Poland||15:52||Direct||Train|
|Lviv to Krakow, Poland||6:37||1||Train|
|Donetsk to Volgograd, Russia||16:00||Direct||Bus|
Ukraine travel routes
Ukraine Round Trip
Main Train Stations
- Kiev Passenger Railway Station: Kyiv-Pasazhyrskyi (Київ-Пасажирський)
- Lviv-Holovnyi Railway Station: (Льві́в-Головни́й)
- Odesa-Holovna Railway Station (Одеса-Головна)
Good to know
Best Time To Travel To Ukraine
We recommend traveling to Ukraine anytime from late April to September because of the warm temperatures and opportunities to explore more of the country. The Black Sea in the south is characterized by its Mediterranean climate and in the north, you will find a more continental climate, with cooler temperatures in the heat of summer, especially in the Carpathians.
Whether you’re interested in visiting the Kamianets-Podilskyi Castle, hiking the Carpathians, exploring the remnants of Chernobyl, or maybe eating some borscht and salo. Ukraine has plenty for you to experience from the moment you arrive.
- High Season: June – August
- Low Season: October – March
Accommodation In Ukraine
Guidebooks For Ukraine
Travel with a guidebook ease your journey to find best sights and things to do. Buy it on Amazon.